Friday, January 09, 2004

mmmm Big Fish

Big Fish is very burtonesque ... if you like Edward Scissorhands and nightmare before christmas you liek it .. it definitely captures the spirit of southern tall tales and is beautiful to look at and very well acted including the small parts..... I saw it early with my girlfriend because I live on the crazy isle of Manhattan and it was released in mid-December here ... Its now having more of a nationwide release so definitely see it ... I had the luck of seeing Big Fish and LOTR in the same week ... and although I would give Big Fish ****1/2 LOTR was one of my very rare ***** movies ... only joining American Splendor this year which is utterly brillant uses of real people and fictional characters and animation ... catch it on DVD, its one of the most unique and fun movies you may ever see .... Although it does not have anywhere near the battle scenes of LOTR.

Right now it is probably my number 3 favorite movie of the year after American Splendor and LOTR 3 .... I am still interested in seeing Master and Commander and the Triplets of Belleville which may make my list ...

I actually feel obligated to see Cold Mountain because it is likely to be competition for LOTR (who I would love to see win Best Picture for one of the greatest epics ever captured on the big screen) ...

My pick for most overrated movie is the incredibly slow "Lost in Translation" ... Bill Murray is very good as the American actor insomniac pitching Whisky and Tokyo looks lovely but I must have checked my watch 15 times wondering when the movie might end .... So it goes....

No comments: