Friday, January 09, 2004

Big Fish

My number 3 favorite movie of the year is Big Fish dir. by Tim Burton ... It is just starting to have a nationwide release and is very good ... I gave it a short capsule review in my last blog ... I was lucky enough to see it before Christmas because I live in the crazy isle of Manhattan and it got a early release there ... great small parts in the movie too .. and of course the tall tales are wonderful ... my gf who usually like the books much better and insists on usually reading them first actually liked the movie better ... the circus for instance is added in the film and not in the book at all.

Big Fish is very burtonesque ... if you like Edward Scissorhands and nightmare before christmas you liek it .. it definitely captures the spirit of southern tall tales and is beautiful to look at and very well acted .....

Right now it is probably my number 3 favorite movie of the year after American Splendor and LOTR 3 .... I am still interested in seeing Master and Commander and the Triplets of Belleville which may make my list ...

I actually feel obligated to see Cold Mountain because it is likely to be competition for LOTR (who I would love to see win Best Picture for one of the greatest epics ever captured on the big screen) ...

My pick for most overrated movie is the incredibly slow "Lost in Translation" ... Bill Murray is very good as the American actor insomniac pitching Whisky and Tokyo looks lovely but I must have checked my watch 15 times wondering when the movie might end .... So it goes.... ecq

No comments: