Sunday, June 11, 2006

BMI rant

I think Panera might mind if I got Pizza Hut personal pan pizza and ate it here .. Prob should just do it there .. The idea sounds MUCH better then having “healthy” food here at Panera ... I think there should be more appreciation for the junk food we eat as good Americans. We are the world champions, and the absolute world leader in being a fast food Nation ... Lets not feel bad for this ... We do need to excel at something .. Why not gluttony?

I will admit it, I am a glutton. There it is I have one of the 7 deadly sins. If you listen to the media, it may be the deadliest sin of all. Is obesity as bad as the media seems to paint it ... The number looks artificially high with the Body Mass Index (BMI) .. a completely artificial equation from very old insurance tables ... there is NO way .. the normal range of BMI is a very short range of 20-25 .. or is it 26-30 ....

I do now that the current overweight BMI rating is completely in the normal range ... and say 30-37 should be overweight ..38-45 obese and 45+ dangerously obese .. I really hate the term “obesity,” especially the idea of being morbidly obese .. After all its just so “morbid” :)

Word count -- 792 after that rant ....

Ok so under 20 BMI (very low by the way) KG/M^2 is considered underweight .. and then you get these very odd and really quite small groups of 5 ... “normal” for instance is only a 20-25 range .. .there is no way that this can be accurate .. If it is many rowers, footballers, rugby players, etc. might qualify as being “obese” in the 30-35 range ... a 100 kg man who is 2 meters tall would be on the border of “normal” and overweight ... 100/4 =25 ... I don’t think 220 pounds qualifies as borderline overweight if you are over 6 feet tall which I think is 6’6” .. may even be able to consider that pretty thin ....

A 120 kg man (264 lbs) at 6.6 ft (2m) would be a BMI of 120/4 or 30 BMI .. borderline obese/overweight ....

I think that should probably be the upper end of the “normal range” and then you just move things over and the BMI makes more sense.

Its amazes me how easily people believe anything with a formula that involves a semblance of math, to be factual. Equations can lie as much as poiticians can.

That’s that for now ....

Quite a rant I think .. just trying to get my writing mojo back after my amazingly prodigious output in November.

ecq

No comments: